Requisit Respite

Sunday, November 14, 2010

I GOT A JOB!

I was beginning to panic.  I had been here in Utah for two months and still no job.  I received one offer, but it was too little money and too little hours.
I logged 56 on-line applications and I went on 11 job interviews.  Sometimes I did two interviews in one day!  Then...nothing.  I had no interviews on my calendar for this week.
I picked Sandy up from the airport on Monday and on the way back to Herriman we passed South Jordan.  I said to him, "That is where I want to work.  That is where I want to live."  On the way my phone rang, but because I was driving I didn't answer it.
Sandy said, "You should answer it.  It might be a job!"
No, not while I'm driving.
So, when I got home, I listened to the voice mail and it was Merit Medical in South Jordan asking if I'd be interested in a 2-week temp job.  I said, "Yes!" 
Isn't that funny that I just said I wanted to work in South Jordan?
Anyway...
I went over that afternoon, signed some papers and went for a drug test.
AND, the recruiter there said she was sending my application/resume' to HR in case there was a job for me as an admin.  Hmmm....good deal!
The next day, Tuesday, I was temping at Merit Medical.  I was helping out during the busy open enrollment time.  Their health insurance was with SelectHealth.  I thought, "Hey!  I was interviewed for a job at SelectHealth. How ironic!"
The next afternoon, Wednesday, I received a call from SelectHealth. (!!!)  I had interviewed for a job as office coordinator for the pharmacy division.  They wanted to offer me the job!  They checked my references and they were glowing and they offered me more money than previously was offered!
Whoa!
I was flabbergasted.  I asked if I could think about it because I had 2 other companies I was waiting on.  She said I had 40 hours.  She also sang the praises of SelectHealth to me; the perks, the promotionals, the pension, etc.
SO...
I came home to Meyersons and told them.  They were excited for me.  Mike said SelectHealth was one of the top companies in Utah to work for.  I told him the recruiter said they were one of the top 10 companies in Utah to work for.  The employees voted, so it must be good, right?
I told them I had been praying all day and prayed in my room on my knees and I just didn't get any confirmation!?  Normally, I get confirmations.  I got nothing.
The next day, Thursday, I got a call from CHG, another company I interviewed for. They wanted me to come in for a second interview.  I told them I received an offer and was there any information they could give me about my chances at CHG.  I didn't really want to work there, but I thought, what the heck?
I was told they didn't even do all the first interviews.  I politely declined the second interview.  That place would have been too stressful to work for anyway.
That evening, I received a Dear John (rejection) email from another place I interviewed for.  I also emailed the other company I wanted to work for--Utah College of Massage Therapy.  I thought it would be kinda fun to work there. But it was in SLC, and I really didn't want to work in SLC.  But I asked them what my chances were to be hired because I received another job offer.
On Friday, there was a person at Merit from SelectHealth who was there to help out with questions at the class everyone had to take about the insurance.  I spoke with her and she also sang the praises of working at SelectHealth.  She said it was very family friendly and that the people were very nice.  She said she knew the person who would be my boss and said he was a nice man.  She said she left S.H., for a few minutes, then went right back to them.  She said she was going to stay with S.H. until she retired.  It is a great company.
I still felt like I didn't get a confirmation, though.
Stupid me.
I go to do a job and SelectHealth is all over all the information I'm passing out to the people.  Then they call and offer me even more money than before.  Then the other jobs don't pan out.  Then I talk to someone from the company who loves working there.
The clincher?  Benefits from S.H. would kick in on January 1, the same day my benefits with my current company will end.
All of a sudden it hit me.  I've been receiving confirmations the whole time!  How many confirmations do I need? 
I was expecting visions and other-worldly revelations, when I got simple face-to-face and hands-on ratification.  How many reasons do I need to accept that offer?  Come.on!
So I called the recruiter at InterMountainHealthcare, and accepted the offer.  She even understood that I had a 2-week commitment with Merit Medical and allowed me to honor that.
I start November 22nd.
Another step accomplished in my new life.
Scary!
SelectHealth photo for my badge

No comments: