Requisit Respite

Sunday, May 3, 2009

I found Nie Nie

Ironically, I found NieNie's blogspot while perusing another of my friend's blogs.
I was JUST tonight speaking with Roslyn Kinneard. In her Christmas card she told us that her husband, Doug, had been killed in a plane crash -- no other information. I knew he was a pilot. I couldn't believe it!

So tonight I called Roslyn and talked to her at length about Doug and the Nielsons, Christian and Stephanie (NieNie), who both survived but with severe burns -- Stephanie over 80 percent of her body. Doug was the pilot who was helping to right the plane that NieNie's husband was flying as it had trouble in flight.
Stephanie and Christian Nielson were flying with Doug from New Mexico to Arizona. Christian was taking flying lessons from Doug. The plane had trouble and before it went down, Doug took the controls and tried to land the plane, but alas, even though he landed the plane, it caught fire and Doug's body was burned over 90 percent.
Roslyn said he was lucid, and was walking around and said he couldn't believe they were all alive. His poor body could not feel any pain because all the nerve endings were damaged. He remained in such a good mental state that he was able to instruct the EMT crew. He was conversing all the way to the hospital. I think the EMTs knew he wouldn't survive; I'm not sure if Doug did.
Roslyn said the nurses told her he was talking up a storm and they were sorry they had to intubate him because his body was going to swell up so much that his breathing would be cut off if they didn't. Roslyn was there and able to spend one last night with him.
They induced a coma, but the doctors and nurses said he could still hear them but couldn't respond.
Roslyn's whole extended family was there the next day, along with Doug's kids. He was given a blessing. He was removed from life support but his heart kept beating. Roslyn told the docs he had a runner's heart, so it probably wouldn't give up easily.
Roslyn's father then gave him a blessing of release and he died peacefully.
She told me about the NieNieDialogues blogspot and I decided to check it out.
BUT
Before that I checked my friend Debbie's blog and there was this button link to the NieNieDialogues! Freaky.

I never heard of it until tonight and then I saw it for the first time through another -- tonight!
Debbie, where did you find out about it?

Serendipity is my favorite word. Even though I know serendipity is really Providence, I like the way it sounds and I like saying it.

Serendipity.

I told Roslyn that I just happened to have found a photo of my son in a plane with Doug when he was in Boy Scouts. I keep it next to my computer.
Roslyn remembered it.
Here it is -->

I still can't believe it. It only seems like yesterday that they were here in Perkasie and our children were playing together.

Good times...

I am amazed at Roslyn's resilience. She is so upbeat. I could hear the smile on her face. She said she has her good days and bad days. I pray she will have more good than bad.
Please e-mail her. She would love to hear from you I'm sure: drc771@cox.net.
And check out http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/



LUV U Doug <3

No comments: