Requisit Respite

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Glass Full: I Miss Kathy Davis

There are many people who have inspired me in my life. Some of them are my heroes. One of these heroes was my friend during a very creative and satisfying time in my life -- Kathy Davis. She is now an exclusive greeting card artist for American Greetings. I just purchased her new book, "Scatter Joy: Living, Giving and Creating a Life You Love" and, when I read it, I feel like she's sitting in the living room with me. So many memories shared with Kathy have resurfaced.
Her new book is a sort of self-help book for people who need joy in their lives or are trying to look at the glass as half-full -- actually just plain full! It's on the line of "The Artist's Way" only it's full of her whimsical watercolors and her effervescent personality, which I really miss.
I went to her website tonight and seeing her artwork just makes me happy. I've read the many testimonials given by people who have seen or purchased her greeting cards and they all say the same thing -- they bring joy.
What a satisfying feeling it must be to bring joy to people.
I hope in my own life I can be thought of as someone who helps to bring joy.
My New Year's resolution this year was to always look at the positive side of things in my life, particularly my job. Being a business office coordinator at a memory care facility is not my ideal career. I would like to be an artist like Kathy and my friend, Nancy Collier. She is another one of my heroes.
Nancy runs a non-profit organization called "New Outlook Therapy." (read about her here: http://mysite.verizon.net/ogdenkids/nola/index.htm)
She gives art lessons, or does art therapy, to those who thought they could never paint. She gives lessons about watercolor painting and, consequently, about living life to the fullest -- glass full!
She visits her 'patients,' as she calls them, and teaches them to paint. Some are paraplegic, some are retarded, some have MS, some are fighting cancer or other life-threatening illnesses.
Wherever she goes, she gives these people a "New Outlook." She helps them make their artwork into greeting cards and even books.
I am so happy for Nancy. She is finally getting published. She has nine books; two are being published already and are available in Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com, etc. and her ninth book is finally the one she has always wanted to write: "Cozy Isn't Being Alone." I can't wait to read it. I've heard all her stories. She is a great storyteller.
Nancy wants me to work at New Outlook and I would like nothing more. But, alas, I am at a time in my life where I have to make money. I would love to be able to paint and create, but having to make money hinders my self-confidence in that direction. I don't have a degree. It is my one big regret in life. *sigh*
Nancy is also trying to inspire me to write a book. I would love to do that, too. I have been trying to think about what I would write about. I don't think of myself as an inspiring person. My life is pretty uninteresting right now. I try to do good, but so do a lot of others.
But I do have a lot of interests -- and I know there's a book in me. I just have to discover what 'it' is.
I would really love to get back in touch with Kathy now that I'm reading her book. I'm actually a little intimidated now. I knew her 'when,' but I have this un-self-confident feeling that I am so out of her league now. I don't know why I think that way. This is exactly the feeling Kathy is writing about in her book. Maybe I will take her advice and just think positive.
I hope someone will read this and click on the links for these two stimulating artist women. Then maybe I'll be considered inspiring! haha
And when I finish Kathy's book, I'm going to call her and see if she wants to meet for lunch, like we used to, with Rosely and Eileen...I hope she says yes!


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."


The above speech for Nelson Mandela by Marianne Robertson

I read this every time I have self-worth feelings.You are a beautiful sparkle in this world...we all are. Equally the same. Love your paintings!

Susan Knight said...

Thank you, Stephanie. Those words really hit home for me. Now that they are on my blog, I will review them time and again.
I was able to peruse your blog. Bravo! I love your art.