Requisit Respite

Saturday, November 14, 2015

26th Anniversary of My Father's Death

Today is the 26th Anniversary of my father's death. 
Henry Joseph Tobelmann, Jr., February 3, 1926-November 14, 1989.
I wrote about it in 2009 when it was the 20th Anniversary of his death. You can read all about it HERE.

This was the last picture taken of my father, out in his back yard by the pond on the golf course.
It was October 1989. He was 63 years old. That's just a little over a year older than I am now.

This was my father's picture and write up in his 1943 yearbook.
He did a lot. He was also voted Best Dancer and Most Likely to Succeed.
                          
                 This is my dad in his Navy uniform.
He served in the Great Lakes camp in Michigan during WWII.




















When he got out of the Navy at the end of WWII, he went on to college on the GI bill.
This is my father's graduation picture from Villanova University in about 1949-50.
He got a job at Lukens Steel Company right away. That's where my grandfather worked, too.
He retired early in 1988 after coding from a minor hernia operation.
He took that as an omen, and my parents moved to Palm Coast, Florida. He died in 1989.
I'm glad he had a year and a half of retired life to enjoy.


No comments: